Friday, September 30

How do I get myself in this mess?!

Conversations with Hayley this week:

After she falls out of her chair:
Daddy: What did you fall on? What did you hurt?
Hayley: MY WHOLE SELF! with arms thrown out for emphasis

On Hat Day at School:
Me: Hayley, do you want to wear a hat to school on Friday?
Hayley: Why?
Me: Because they are collecting money for boys and girls who are in the hospital who are sick.
Hayley: But I'm not sick (tearing up)
Me: No, you aren't. This is just a way to send money to the boys and girls who are sick.
Hayley: But I'm not sick!
(that was Wednesday, this morning...)
Me: Ok, we need to pick out a hat to wear to school.
Hayley: Why?
Me: Because today is hat day and we can wear a hat to school today.
Hayley: But I'm not sick (tearing up) *and yes, you would have thought I'd already learned my lesson at this point, but obviously I haven't)*
Me: I know. You don't have to be sick to wear a hat. Its kind of like sending a card that says feel better.
Hayley: looking at her hat "But my hat doesn't say feel better!"
Me: No, it doesn't. You just wear it to show we want the boys and girls to feel better.
Hayley: But I'm not sick! (tearing up)

oh sweet baby Jesus save me from this conversational logic fail.

Yesterday, in the oyster bar/seafood "restaurant"
Hayley: Bye Santa Claus! (to a man in a khaki coverall complete with khaki hat, but beard and general posture to match, but who has not spoken to us other than courtesy wave) *and thank you kind sir for indulging her*

1 comment:

  1. this post made me laugh to tears. what i wouldn't do to be a fly on your wall with you every day with hayley. Im sure when you feel the at least bad I'm sure hayley can make you laugh or at least smile. the hat deal cracked me up. Thank you Hayley for making me laugh. would love more pictures of the girls and of Grady man. can't wait til april's lil boy gets here, ashley's lil boy, and christie's twins get here. thats 4 new baby cousins in 2012.

    ReplyDelete